Satellite AIT Electrical RF and Comms Engineer
£0.00 - £39.55 per hour
Share this job
On behalf of our client, we are recruiting a Satellite AIT Electrical RF and Comms Engineer, to join them on a six-month contract. This role involves preparation of electrical integration procedures, functional test procedures and test sequences for spacecraft. You will be preparing, debugging, and executing RF measurements and system tests on flight hardware and engineering test benches, writing test reports and supporting test readiness and non-conformance reviews.
Role: Satellite AIT Electrical RF and Comms Engineer
Pay: £39.55 per hour via Umbrella
Contract: 6 months
Hours: 37 hours per week Monday – Friday
Security Clearance: Must already have SC Clearance
- Designing and performing RF test measurements on the comms subsystem on test benches and spacecraft.
- Writing and executing electrical integration procedures to electrically verify and connect the equipment during the build of the spacecraft.
- Interpretation of RF, electrical and functional test requirements from test specifications
- Provide test solutions to meet the test specification requirements, from planning and kick-off meeting, through test sequence coding, procedure preparation and debug to execution.
- Close out tests with Post Test Review and Test Report
- To provide technical inputs to project test reviews (Test Readiness Reviews, Post Test Reviews, Test Review Boards and Non Conformance Review Boards)
- Development and debug of Automatic Test procedures (ATP)
- Preparing and executing spacecraft system investigations in line with actions from Non Conformance Review Boards (NRBs).
- Support Spacecraft systems functional and performance tests during environmental test (Reference test, TVAC, Magnetic, EMC, functional and performance tests).
- Work to company and departmental procedures and maintain adherence to EN 9001
Essential Skills and Experience Required:
- Minimum of a degree in an Electrical Engineering related discipline, or relevant experience in a similar role >5 years
- Current hands-on experience of writing test sequences/scripts for execution of spacecraft tests from the Central Checkout System (CCS). Knowledge of Elisa and/or Open Centre would be an advantage.
- Test sequence writing and debugging in a bespoke language (C, Java and LabView knowledge would be an advantage)
- RF calibration and measurement at system level (Up and Downlink characterisation, power measurements, bandwidth, modulation index, spurious, SNR, ranging etc.).
- Competent in the use of RF test equipment to perform the afore mentioned measurements (e.g. Spectrum Analyser, Network Analyser, Power Meters, Signal Synthesisers, Calibration methods etc.).
- Knowledge of configuring the comms system (transponder, antenna switching, modem, data rates, modulation schemes etc.)
- Knowledge and experience of spacecraft systems and subsystem testing is essential, e.g. Data Handling, Packet Utilisation Standard, Data Bus Communications – 1553, SpaceWire, CAN bus, Power systems, FDIR.
- Working knowledge of Satellite TMTC Databases.
- Programming and scripting languages, particularly writing and debugging Linux/Unix bash scripts is an advantage. Knowledge of a programming language such as C, Java, python, TCL, VBA would be useful but not essential.
- Competent in the use of various test equipment used for electrical measurements, e.g. DMM, oscilloscope, current probes, Data acquisition unit, data bus monitors (i.e. CAN bus or SpaceWire probes/analysers) would be an advantage.
- Spacecraft electrical and harness knowledge would be an advantage but not essential.
- Familiar with the Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Awareness of ‘cleanroom’ disciplines.
- Willing to support shifts and travel on test campaigns essential.
Apply for this role
Airside Operations Technical and Regulations Manager
Airside Safety and Assurance Manager
NH90 B1.3/B2 ground instructor
AW Simulator Instructor
Technical Production Planner
Systems Design Engineer
Principal Product Assurance Engineer Manufacturing
Quality Inspector (Aviation Workshop)