AIT Mechanical Engineer
Maintenance and Engineering
£34.00 - £35.00 per hour
Share this job
On behalf of our client, we are seeking an AIT Mechanical Engineer to join them on an initial 12-month contract. You will support writing processes, plans and procedures in 3D experience for the production of Satellites and Payloads. You will be involved in supporting hardware assembly such as Black Boxes, Solar Array and Structure Panels, and supporting Satellite environmental testing.
Role: AIT Mechanical Engineer
Pay: Up to £35 per hour via Umbrella
Hours: Monday to Friday, 37 hours a week, possibility of shifts with 20% uplift.
Contract: 12 -month contract
IR35 Status: Inside
SC Clearance: SC Clearable
Project Preparation Phase
- Support to the customisation phase starting at the project kick off.
- Support project DMU (Digital mock-up/design for manufacture) sessions to ensure design for manufacture.
- Support in the creation of documentation required for the production phases, including ACS inputs, work instructions, and procedures.
- Lead the installation of Satellite appendages and applicable integration flows and preparation.
- Support the definition of MGSE for use on the Satellite and support procurement activities.
- Support Process Owner team in all aspects of their role.
Project Operational Phase
- Support to AIT Lead Engineering team in periods of high workload.
- Support process owners with observation resolution and operational activities.
- Oversee unit installation activities on the Satellite.
- Support quality reviews, conduct PFMEA and Root Cause Analysis
- Support in the creation of re-work instructions based on project requirements and identify parts and tooling required to carry them out.
- Design of tooling / build aids for assembly execution
- Support to R&D
- Training module creation and maintenance.
- Responsible for ensuring that our working modes and processes are standardised, optimised, and current.
- Produce new processes, undertake process improvement and maintenance and monitor process implementation in operations.
- High mechanical skills and relevant experience.
- Writing Procedures and process control.
- Able to work offsite (UK and abroad) for undefined periods at short notice.
- Work overtime and shifts when requested.
- Able to support out of normal hours work using the “on call” rota process.
- Practical and proactive.
- Quality driven approach with high attention to detail.
- Knowledge and experience in the production of high-quality documentation (test specs, test plans, test procedures, AIT Plans, DDV plans).
- High self-motivation and ability to deal with changing priorities on a multi project basis.
- Good problem-solving skills (technical, logistics and organisational).
- Good planning skills and process competence, (MRP system experience an advantage).
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Previous experience of payload builds is a distinct advantage.
- Good time management.
- Appreciation of satellite integration processes and project phases.
- Satellite Appendage installation process (Solar Array, reflectors, antennas, deployable systems).
- Good understanding and detailed experience of complex mechanical systems.
- Lean manufacturing techniques including 5S, root cause analysis and continuous improvement.
- Support to production teams on the shop floor.
- Prepare and carry out environmental tests (Vibration, Acoustic, Mass properties, Thermal) at unit, subsystem, instrument and spacecraft level. Handling and installation of thermal hardware (heaters, thermistors)
- Mechanical integration of electronic units, subsystems and instruments, mechanisms, antennas, solar arrays, mechanical sub-systems, instruments, payloads and spacecraft and control the documentation / process associated with performing these.
- Mechanical Engineering, Production Engineering
- Aerospace, Mechanical Engineering, Production Engineering
Education & Training
- Minimum of HNC level in a Mechanical discipline.
Stevenage working –
There is a possibility for shift work:
Monday to Friday rotating shifts of 06.00 to 14.00 & 14.00 to 22.00 – every other week.
Shift work rate uplift of 20% for base site
Probable extension after initial contract duration
Base of Work
Some hybrid working is permitted in the preparation phase (in line with company policies)
A full onsite presence is required during the operation and build phase (in line with company policies)
Apply for this role
Software V&V Engineer
Paint Strip Mechanic
Experienced Aero Engine Mechanics
Part 145 Quality Engineer
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Chief Mechanical Engineer
B1 Licensed Engineer – Dhaka