Maintenance and Engineering
£55 - £60 per hour
Share this job
On behalf of our client, who specialises in defence, we are seeking a Safety Engineer to join on an initial 6-month contract. As the Safety Engineer, you will exploit your safety engineering skills to influence the safety aspects of technically complex and challenging products. While exploring the boundaries of best practice, you will optimise the effort devoted to safety assurance, with the goal of balancing safety against the inherently lethal attributes required of complex weapon systems.
Role: Safety Engineer
Pay: Up to £60 per hour via Umbrella
Hours: Monday to Friday, 37 hours a week
Contract: 6-month contract – likelihood of extension
Location: Bristol (60% onsite – 40% WFH split)
IR35 Status: Inside
SC Clearance: Valid SC required
- Manage the safety aspects of a 12 month contract to integrate the FC/ASW Weapon System onto Royal Navy platforms.
- Liaise with key stakeholders (i.e. MoD, the platform authority, the launcher authority, and stakeholders within our client) to define the safety boundary for the development of the Safety Case, and to define the organisation, roles and responsibilities for the safety programme.
- This will need to be agreed and documented in a Safety Management Plan (SMP) for the Assessment Phase. Later in the Assessment Phase, the emphasis will shift to Preliminary Hazard Analysis, Functional Failure Analysis and supporting the development of an appropriate safety architecture (which will include a focus on the electronic and programmable aspects and the associated functional requirements).
In support of the above, the following is expected:
- Hazard identification exercises (SWIFT and HAZOP).
- Hazard management and risk analysis, including fault tree and event tree analyses.
- Construction of safety arguments and ALARP statements.
- Provision of support to internal and external project Safety Panels and Committees; (in conjunction with safety focal points).
- Assisting in the management and integration of these activities with system engineering and design programs to ensure the timely delivery of material supporting the safety case.
- Liaising with other functions to derive safety requirements and hazards.
- Working with systems teams to demonstrate satisfaction of safety requirements.
- Understanding of DEF-STAN 00-056, including the ability to write Safety Management Plans that meet its requirements.
- DO178C/DO-254 experience (desirable).
Skills and Experience Required
- Demonstrable knowledge of, and experience in, the application of UK and International system engineering processes, particularly in safety-related systems and safety assessment processes.
- Thorough understanding and experience of how the hazard analysis process integrates with the system engineering process to influence the design.
- Ability to deliver supporting information (Safety Case Reports, Hazard Analysis, Functional Failure Analysis, FTA, etc).
- Detailed electronic engineering experience is highly desirable (education to degree or HND level or a comparable level of experience is preferred). Experience of other engineering disciplines (design, software, manufacture, etc.) is also desirable.
- Good verbal, written communications analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Track record as an effective team player with strong interpersonal and influencing skills and the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary / multi-national team.
- Stakeholder management.
- Customer/supplier interfacing skills.
- Planning and organisation skills.
If you are interested in applying for this position and you meet the requirements, please send your updated CV to: Ellie Laflain at Line Up Aviation
Line Up Aviation is a specialist aviation and aerospace recruitment company that has been operating all over the world for more than 30 years. We work with some of the industry’s best-known companies and pride ourselves with working to the highest standard of service supported by an ingrained culture of honesty and integrity.
“Follow @LineUpAviation on Twitter for all of our latest vacancies, news and pictures from our busy UK Head Office. Interact with us using the #LineUpAviation tag at anytime! Thank you for your follow!”
Apply for this role
Microwave Design Engineer
RF Systems Engineer
Actuation Lab Co-Ordinator
Principal Product Assurance Engineer- Manufacturing
Systems Design Engineer
Space Product Quality Assurance
Electrical Cable Design Engineer