Ground Control Systems Engineer
£40.00 - £45.00 per hour
Share this job
My client is looking for a Ground Control Systems (GCS) Engineer to join on them on a 12 month contract. As a GCS Engineer, you will be responsible for the ongoing performance improvements of the world record breaking Zephyr Platform and exploiting its capability to deliver customer solutions.
Role: Ground Control Systems Engineer
Pay: £45.00 per hour via Umbrella (Inside IR35)( Negotiable)
Location: Farnborough – onsite full time
Contract: 12 Months – 37 hours per week Monday – Friday
Security Clearance: Basic but will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance.
This position is focused on the development of Ground Control Systems and secure network architecture to maximise the strategic capabilities of our product, taking advantage of highly automated flight operations in the stratosphere.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams in delivering Ground System solutions;
- Manage and effectively communicate the Ground System roadmap and communicate with wider Engineering community, including Zephyr System Architects
- Manage new and existing suppliers/stakeholders
- Make decisions with a balanced view of all stakeholder requirements, ensuring projects are run efficiently and profitably while delivering robust technical solutions on time to meet demanding schedules;
- Manage technical risk within projects through early involvement in project design reviews, early commencement of mitigation activities, managing requirements creep and clear definition of the technical scope of projects from their outset;
- Define appropriate implementation and proportionate application of the project product assurance plan to the project.
- Active participation in flight trials
This role will involve some travel for business and as such you must be flexible to travel accordingly.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of technologies relevant to the design and operation of UAVs including secure communications and network architectures;
- Ability to understand the overall Zephyr architectural solution and devise strategies to overcome key challenges;
- Excellent understanding of TCP/IP and Network Security
- Familiar with RF and satellite datalinks (hardware and communications architecture)
- Able to rapidly perform system level trade-offs and access sub-system options in terms of system performance, capability, reliability and implementation within the project schedule and to the necessary quality level;
- Able to effectively perform system and subsystem technical reviews and chair meetings;
- Ability to communicate and explain requirements to subsystem managers and to define and explain acceptance test criteria;
- Ability to review acceptance test data and results in the context of assessing compliance with requirements, airworthiness criteria or more succinctly, fundamental assessment of whether a system or sub-system is fit for purpose;
- Knowledge of manufacturing engineering techniques and methodologies;
- Knowledge of suitable test methods, qualification and acceptance criteria across a variety of subsystems and technologies;
- Knowledge of electronic/software/embedded system design, delivery process and acceptance test and qualification criteria;
- Has effectively delivered a prototype system through a complete design cycle;
- Has developed a system with a secure network architecture incorporating a mixture of COTS components and bespoke hardware/software
- Working knowledge of networking in Juniper environment highly desirable (JUNOS)
- Has a track record of system delivery in accordance with the regulatory and quality requirements.
- Experience of establishing and working within formal organisational approval schemes would be beneficial (including Part 21)
- Has previous experience of operating UAS would be beneficial
Education & Training
- Degree qualified in Eng/Sci/Tech/Aero + SE experience
- Essential – Strong experience in a similar role
- Self-motivated, proactive, team-oriented and willing to take on challenges.
- Able to constructively influence colleagues, suppliers and customers.
- Planning own work and prioritise tasks in line with project needs.
- Focus on delivering to time, cost and quality.
- Safety conscious approach to own work and that of others.
If you are interested in applying for this position and you meet the requirements, please send your updated CV to: Sarah Budd at Line Up Aviation
Line Up Aviation has carved its own place in the recruitment of Aviation and Aerospace personnel all over the world for more than 30 years. We work with some of the industry’s best-known companies who demand the highest standard of applicants.
Due to the number of applications, we receive, it’s not always possible to contact unsuccessful applicants. Unless you hear from us within 14 days of your application, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
“Follow @LineUpAviation on Twitter for all of our latest vacancies, news and pictures from our busy UK Head Office. Interact with us using the #LineUpAviation tag at anytime! Thank you for your follow!”
Apply for this role
Supply Chain Quality Manager
Business Method Engineer
Process Planning Engineer
Quality Conformance Engineer
Warehouse & Logistics Specialist
Technical Records Administrator